Sunday 10 March 2013

On the Path to Marine Biology

In order to become a Marine Biologist, some wise person told people to go out into the great unknown and gain a university degree. Among my various travels spanning many far off lands from Portsmouth in the South to Bangor in the West, I chanced upon Newcastle University, in the distant land of Tyne and Wear.  

We first visited the university at the end of last June, at a general open day. I fell in love with the course and city. The Angel of the North greeted us as we left the motorway, and after that, the wonderful sights just kept on revealing themselves.

The Angel of the North
The Tyne Bridge
The Olympic Symbol on the Tyne Bridge
The campus was simply beautiful (helped, of course, by the fabulous weather). There was so much to see; and for such a small city, the campus was so huge!

The Old Quadrangle
The University's logos through the ages
And so I submitted my application. And I waited... And waited... And then, after what seemed to be eternity and a day (in truth: about fifteen days), I got my offer! So after the initial jubilation quieted down, I set about making preparations for my next venture to the great North.

The second time we visited Newcastle was last Wednesday, for an applicant open day. Whilst I cannot say the weather was as beautiful as June (though surprisingly warm for the time), the day convinced me more of my destination for the next three years. Visiting the Dove Marine Laboratory on the North Shields was spectacular, as I got to see (and hold) many species I'd be learning of.

Edible Sea Urchin (Echinus esculentus)
Common Starfish (Asterias rubens)
The underside of the starfish
Edible Crab (Cancer pagurus)
Random species of Hermit Crab
I'll let you know which when I'm a Marine Biologist :D
So all in all, a most wonderful day that convinced me of where I'd like to spend the next three years learning about this wonderful science. Now to just get back to studying to get that place! 

If you wish to see the university for yourself, here are the links:

No comments:

Post a Comment